I made these pickled onions to go on tacos but the recipe is so good I’ve just been making them to have on hand for everything. The flavor here is perfectly balanced: sweet from the natural onion flavor and the sugar, and slightly tangy because of the vinegar. They are super good on tuna sandwiches, salads, breakfast sandwiches – the options are endless!
Recipe: The Best Pickled Onions Ever
1 red onion, sliced very thin
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
This recipe couldn’t be easier and takes about 5 minutes start to finish.
- In a small pot, being vinegar, sugar, and salt to a boil.
- While you’re waiting for the mixture to come to a boil, slice the onion up into very thin pieces. Put onion slices in a bowl or tupperware.
- When the mixture is boiling, turn off the heat and pour the mixture over the onions.
- Cover loosely (with a lid or plastic wrap) and let it sit for at least an hour.
- Enjoy right then and there! Or, these will last in an airtight container in the fridge for at least a week. My batches haven’t lasted longer than that so I can’t vouch for longer.