Recipe: Bacon Butter Toffee

Because my friend Nicole is the sweetest, she left some of her delicious butter toffee in our fridge when we were in New Jersey in February. John and I polished it off in like, a day because it was so good. I promised John I would make him some more and figured PAX East weekend was a good opportunity to send some along for him to share with the nerds his friends. I did make one modification to Nicole’s recipe though – I added bacon because why the heck not.

Domestocrat’s Bacon Butter Toffee
7 slices bacon
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp. water
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup dark chocolate chunks

To begin, cook the bacon on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Once it’s cooked, drain on a paper towel lined plate for 10 minutes, then chop into rough pieces.

IMG_9520IMG_9523

Next up, time to make toffee! Toffee is one of those things that seems so complicated to make. I don’t know why because it’s actually so simple, you’ll wonder why you ever paid for toffee bars or bits.

Over medium heat cook the sugar, butter, and water together until it starts to bubble around the edges.

IMG_9505IMG_9513

Give the mixture one good stir, attach your candy thermometer (make sure it’s not touching the bottom of the pan, your read will be inaccurate), and don’t touch the mixture again until the thermometer reads 300 degrees. If you see any really patches, you can give it a little stir but try not to mess with it too much. Trust me, I’m a futzer and when you mix toffee/caramel too much, it takes forever to get up to temperature.

IMG_9529IMG_9533

When the thermometer reads 300 degrees, immediately remove the pan from the heat/stove. Add the baking soda and vanilla and stir to combine. Careful, it might bubble up quickly here!

Carefully pour the toffee mixture on to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Right away sprinkle on even layer of the chopped bacon. I actually roughly chopped about 75% of my cooked bacon and finely minced the other 25% (you’ll see in a minute).

IMG_9538IMG_9541

Next, take the chocolate chunks and spread them into an even layer on top of the hot toffee and bacon.

IMG_9509IMG_9542

Give the chocolate a minute or so to melt on it’s own then spread out evenly with a silicone spatula. This is when I took the remaining handful of minced bacon I cut up and sprinkled it on top of the melted chocolate. Double the bacon layers, double the fun.

IMG_9545IMG_9546

Put the whole thing into the fridge to set for at least 2 hours. Overnight works fine too. When it has hardened, take a big kitchen knife to it and roughly chop into chunks. The size is totally up to you!

You can totally make this butter toffee without the bacon (per Nicole’s original recipe). I have actually made a few batches since the bacon edition and it is truly delicious both ways. There is something wonderful about bacon though that adds to the salty/sweet balance of this yummy treat.

IMG_9552

I mean, c’mon…BACON!

IMG_9569

About Domestocrat

I'm a lady who enjoys photography, football, cooking, long drives with the windows down, This American Life, kettlecorn, hot yoga, pop punk, my nephews, my cat Reggie, and my home: Boston.
This entry was posted in Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Recipe: Bacon Butter Toffee

  1. Pingback: Top 13 Domestocrat Recipes of 2013 | Domestocrat

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s