After the initial fun and wonder of snow wears off, winter sucks. I know what you are thinking – I’m from New England, I shouldn’t complain. But when there is snow piled up everywhere, you have to basically live in a sleeping bag to stay warm, and your dry skin is revolting, it’s time for a respite. Here are my favorite essentials that make life a little bit easier during the winter:
- Vermont’s Original Bag Balm – This stuff is amazing. I use Bag Balm year-round as my go-to lip balm but it is particularly useful in the winter. It soothes dry lips, is perfect for a chapped nose, and works wonders on cracked hands.
- A Pizza Stone – A good pizza stone is essential to successful homemade pizza. To us, it’s always comfort food (Pizza Sunday is a year-round tradition in our house) but in the winter it’s that much more special. We just bought a new stone (from Pizzacraft) and love it!
- The Weather Channel App – Having weather at your fingertips is non-negotiable in the wintertime. I trust The Weather Channel over all other weather news outlets so this app is my go-to.
- Crane Cool Mist Humidifier – During the winter my skin looks awful; it’s cracked, chapped, split, and raw. Not fun. I have a humidifier at both home and work, and keep them cranked at all times. It really helps!
- Paul Mitchell’s Thicken Up – I don’t know about you but in the winter my hair is limp and flat. I started using Paul Mitchell’s Thicken Up and it really gives my hair that extra boost without feeling heavy or sticky.
- A Heavy Down Comforter and Pretty Duvet – There is nothing cozier than a warm down comforter in the winter. We bought ours from IKEA along with this pretty and colorful duvet cover. The only bad thing is that it’s so comfy that is it really hard to get out of bed in the morning.
- Cute Boots – Winter footwear is impossible: snow boots are not cute and I refuse to wear Uggs. I bought a pair of Born Ismelda boots this year and have been loving them. They are comfy, sturdy, and waterproof. I am really happy with them!
- Warm Gloves – These Manzella fleece gloves have saved me this winter! They are super warm and I can still use my hands without the bulk of regular gloves.
- A Big Mug – In the winter I drunk tea nonstop. This adorable owl mug that I got from West Elm has been in constant use this season.
Bonus Round! Domestocrat’s Top 5 Winter Cold Busters:
- Alka Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough – Whenever I’m sick this is my go-to medicine. It lets me sleep through the night without the crazy side effects of Nyquil. I feel like it really does help me get better faster. I’ve been using this stuff for years, I love it.
- Rise and Shine Juice – This homemade juice is the perfect Vitamin C blast if you’re feeling under the weather.
- Halls Defense Sugar Free Vitamin C Cough Drops – These cough drops help soothe the throat and clear the nose. Plus, they are sugar free and have Vitamin C in them. Bonus!
- Green Tea – In addition to my aforementioned huge winter tea habit, when I’m sick I drink green tea like it’s nobody’s business. Lipton and Bigelow are my favorite brands, but any will do!
- Mucinex Sinus Max – Mucinex Sinus Max is a relatively new addition to my winter cold repertoire. This stuff does wonders to relieve a congestion headache/sinus pain and to clear out the nose. So glad I tried it, I really like this stuff.
(Product reviews are never sponsored; they are just my musings on products I’ve tried and want to share with you.)