A lot of times my inspiration to do a craft project comes from materials I’ve gathered. This was definitely the case with this project. I bought this wonderful natural cotton Habu yarn the last time we were in Salem. I loved the muted colors and texture of this yarn. I don’t knit but I immediately imagined hanging something with it. I got the fabric at my new favorite fabric store, Gather Here. It came in a bundle of fat quarters but I loved the sunny colors and design on these three.
The materials used for this project were my sewing machine, fabric scissors, pins, fabric, yarn, embroidery floss, and a pattern I made.
The first step was to draw out all of the measurements so that I could create a pattern and get all of the specs correct. I measured the window frame in the office where I planned to hang my banner, it was 80 inches wide. So I drew up a little schematic: 80 inches total, with one pennant at exactly the halfway point at 40 inches, a standard space between each pennant of 2.5 inches, 4 pennants on each side from the center, with a total of 9 pennants and roughly 4 inches leftover on each end to allow for hanging.
With my specs done and pattern cut out, I prepped my fabric by ironing it all.
I knew that I wanted a double sided pennant with sewn edges. To create that I folded each piece of fabric in half width-wise, lined my pattern up on the fold, folded the fabric into thirds, pinned the pattern to the front, and cut out the fabric. Hopefully that’s not a confusing explanation but if so, I think the pictures will be clearer.
As you can see, the triangle pennants have two sides. The next step was to sew them together!
I used the zig zag stitch on my sewing machine to sew each side together. It’s a fun stitch that holds really well. I didn’t make a hem, or do anything fancy actually, because I didn’t want this to look too polished. I sewed up one side, pivoted at the end point, and sewed up the other side.
I left about a half inch at the top of each side unsewn to string the pennants on the yarn later.
After all the pennants were sewn up, I trimmed off all the excess string.
When the pennants were all done, I laid out the yarn garland and each pennant to get a feel for layout and spacing.
The next step was putting the pennants on the garland. The first pennant I started with was at the middle (the 40 inch halfway point) so that I could work outward.
One quick little trick I used to help thread the yarn through the top of each pennant was to gently push it through with the eraser end of a pencil. Worked like a dream!
A lot of fabric banners I’ve seen online use a piece of fabric (or bias tape) at the top to sew each pennant to. Since I had this beautiful yarn I didn’t want to go with that style. I still needed a way to affix the pennants to the yarn garland though so they would stay in place/not slide around. I decided to give the top corners of each pennant a little knot dart with embroidery floss. Again, I hope the pictures are helpful to demonstrate exactly how I did this.
I lined the yarn up at the very top of the pennant and sewed through the corner from the back.
I sewed one loop around and then tied it off in the back.
I cut the excess floss very short on the back so that it would be barely noticeable.
With the center pennant done, I worked my way outward, affixing each pennant to the yarn with 2.5 inches between them.
When the banner was done I brought it into the office and called in the hubs for some help. He hammered two nails just next to the window frame and helped me hang the banner up.
The finished product!
I love it. It turned out way better than I imagined. The rustic edges paired with the soft cotton yarn garland give the banner the exact feel I wanted it to have. It’s festive, whimsical, and sweet. Plus, the bright colors really bring a lot of life to our office.
Another picture from later in the day when I closed the shades: